top of page

Extraordinary Ability Visa Holiday Travel FAQ

Welcome to the Holiday Travel FAQ for Extraordinary Ability Visa Holders!

At Global Talent Immigration Law Group, we understand the unique challenges and questions that arise for individuals with O-1 Visas and EB-1 Green Cards during the holiday season. This page is dedicated to providing you with comprehensive answers to your most pressing travel questions.

Christmas Decorations

1. Can I travel outside the U.S. during the holidays with my O-1 Visa or EB-1 Green Card?

Yes, individuals with O-1 Visas or EB-1 Green Cards can travel outside the U.S. However, it's important to ensure that your visa or green card is valid for re-entry into the U.S. and that you carry the necessary documentation.

2. What documents should I carry when traveling internationally?

You should carry your passport, valid O-1 Visa or EB-1 Green Card, and any other relevant immigration documents, such as I-797 approval notices or employment verification letters.

3. Does traveling abroad affect my status or ongoing applications?

Traveling abroad can have implications for certain pending immigration applications. It's advisable to contact Global Talent Immigration Law Group before making travel plans if you have pending applications.

4. How long can I stay outside the U.S. without affecting my O-1 or EB-1 status?

There's no specific limit, but extended absences might raise questions about your intent to reside in the U.S. Contact Global Talent Immigration Law Group for advice tailored to your situation.

5. What if my visa expires while I am abroad?

If your visa expires while you are outside the U.S., you will need to apply for a new visa at a U.S. Consulate or Embassy before returning.

6. Can my dependents travel with me?

Yes, dependents on O-2 or derivative EB-1 status can travel with you. Ensure their visas and travel documents are also up-to-date.

7. What should I do if I encounter issues at a U.S. port of entry upon return?

Remain calm and answer all questions honestly. If you face significant issues, ask to speak with a supervisor or contact Global Talent Immigration Law Group.

8. Are there special considerations for travel to certain countries?

Yes, depending on your country of destination, there may be specific advisories or requirements. Check the latest travel advisories from the U.S. Department of State.

9. How does travel affect my tax obligations?

International travel can impact your tax status, especially if you spend a significant amount of time outside the U.S. Consult with a tax professional for advice.

10. What is dual intent, and how does it relate to holiday travel?

Dual intent refers to the ability to hold a non-immigrant visa while applying for permanent residence. Travel should not generally affect this, but it's wise to contact Global Talent Immigration Law Group if you have pending permanent residence applications.

Need More Help? For personalized assistance or to discuss your specific situation, please contact us at

bottom of page