top of page
  • Writer's pictureglobaltalentlaw

O-1 Visa vs. EB-1 Green Card: Which Path is Right for You?

Updated: Jun 11

Immigration Law


If you possess extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics, you could have the opportunity to live and work in the United States. There are specific immigration paths designed for individuals with exceptional talent. This blog will compare two of the most sought-after options – the O-1 Visa and the EB-1 Green Card.

Section 1: What is the O-1 Visa for Extraordinary Ability?

The O-1 visa is a temporary work-authorized status for individuals with extraordinary ability. To qualify, you must meet the eligibility criteria and demonstrate extraordinary ability by showing sustained national or international acclaim in your field and providing substantial evidence of your achievements. This could include:

  • Major awards or nominations for excellence in the field

  • Published work about you in professional or major trade publications

  • Evidence of high salary or remuneration for services

  • Membership in associations that require outstanding achievement

You must also demonstrate extraordinary achievement evidenced by significant recognition in your field, particularly in the arts, motion picture, and television industries.

The O-1 Visa is typically granted for an initial period of three years, with the possibility of extensions in one-year increments. The O-1 does require the artist to show that s/he has work lined up in the area of expertise, and does require sponsorship from a US company or US citizen or resident.

The O-1 does not have a physical presence requirement, so an O-1 visa holder is allowed to spend as much or as little time in the United States as he or she wants.

The spouse and unmarried children under 21 can join an O-1 visa holder in the U.S. on O-3 visas.

Green Card

Section 2: What is the EB-1 Green Card?

The EB-1 Green Card, an immigrant visa, grants you permanent residence in the United States, giving you the right to live and work here permanently. To be eligible, you need extensive documentation proving your extraordinary ability within your field. Examples of acceptable evidence include:

  • Receipt of a major, internationally recognized award (e.g., Nobel Prize)

  • At least three types of evidence from a list including: lesser national and international awards, membership in exclusive organizations, press and media recognition, authorship within your field, making an original contribution of significance to your field, showcase of your work at artistic exhibitions, commercial success in the performing arts, leading roles in distinguished organizations, earning a high salary, and judging the work of your peers.

The US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) is responsible for processing EB-1 petitions and specifies the extraordinary abilities required for O-1 visas.

Importantly, you don’t need a job offer or employer sponsor to apply for an EB-1A Green Card. You can self-petition as long as you provide evidence that you intend to continue working in your field of extraordinary ability in the U.S.

Your spouse and unmarried children under 21 also become permanent residents along with you through this process.

Section 3: What's the Difference?

  • Temporary vs. Permanent: The O-1 is temporary, and the EB-1 grants permanent residency. This is the most fundamental difference. The EB-1 is one of the employment-based immigrant visas that lead to a green card.

  • Sponsorship Requirement: An O-1 requires sponsorship of a US employer or “agent”. EB-1 applicants can self-petition and do not require sponsorship from a US employer or agent.

  • Accepting Employment: With the O-1, you’re limited to working for either your sponsor or, in the case of an agency-based O-1, working within your field of expertise. With the EB-1 green card, you have the freedom and flexibility to expand beyond your area of expertise and accept employment in other fields from any US employer.

  • Pathway to US citizenship: The O-1 does not allow you to apply for citizenship, even if you have had it for 20 years. The EB-1 green card results in permanent residency immediately upon approval, and leads to US citizenship after 5 years of residency. Additionally, EB-1 applicants must demonstrate extraordinary ability through sustained national or international acclaim.


Section 4: How Do I Choose?

Consider these factors when deciding which option suits you best:

  • Career Goals: Do you want flexibility to work for various employers or focus on a specific company?

  • Where You Are Now: Do you already have a US employer willing to petition for you?

  • Staying Long-Term: Is living in the US permanently a major goal?

  • Priority Date: If permanent residency in the US is your ultimate goal, know that filing an EB-1 I-140 petition can establish a priority date that helps ensure your place in the queue for permanent residency, while an O-1 visa does not.

Hiring an immigration lawyer is a wise decision, whether you plan on seeking an O-1 visa or an EB-1A Green Card. An O-1 visa can sometimes be a stepping stone towards an EB-1 Green Card, but the process can be complex.


Demonstrated extraordinary ability unlocks exciting opportunities in the United States. Both the O-1 visa and EB-1 Green Card cater to highly talented individuals, but each offers a distinct path. Choosing the right one depends entirely on your career goals, current circumstances, and long-term aspirations in the US.

Call to Action

Think you qualify for an O-1 visa or EB-1 Green Card? Reach out to the immigration experts at Global Talent Immigration Law Group for personalized guidance. Contact attorneys Liz Profumo, Esq. or Jordana Schwartz-Matricardi, Esq. for a free consultation. And, if this blog post was helpful, please share it with others!

14 views0 comments


Rated 0 out of 5 stars.
No ratings yet

Add a rating
bottom of page